This Flicking Nails it!
Since I live smack dab in the epicenter of everything that is hip in the world, I wanted to share with you a report on the trends you’ll be feeling in 2010.
Women: Asian women are still holding strong in the area to the point where seeing a white woman on the street is like catching Moby Dick. As all the non-fobby girls have been snatched up by white dudes in bands and graphic designers, this leaves the more fresher arrivals for those who are late to the game (frat dudes, recently divorced). These women have bad teeth and haircuts, which poses a threat to the trend’s entire infrastructure. I see a big big comeback for white women in 2010, now that they have realized you must look cute to get a guy.
Clothing: Ray bans are still ubiquitous and seem like they will never die, though fruity colored ones are never ever acceptable. Jeans are becomming less skin tight and anything with a logo on it is gaaaay and burn all of your “street wear.”
Food: If you’re eating anything that isn’t fried chicken you are a lame. No more pork belly (ok not no more) oh and I don’t care if it is locally and organically produced. Fuck farmers who live near you.
Music: As always, the coolest band right now is some shit you’ve never heard of, so don’t bother asking. Michael Jackson records thrown into sets are obvious pandering to 80’s babies. If your DJ set is struggling you cannot throw on Billy Jean to dig yourself out of a hole. Stop it. Also, Steve Aoki is a retard.
Booze: Contrary to popular belief, hipsters don’t seek out shit beer. Hipsters will literally drink anything…especially whisky. I predict drinking everything you can get your hands on will continue into the later part of 2010. The more well off hipsters with actual jobs and trust funds are very into wine.
Pets: Cats will never be cool, but dogs as always, are holding strong. If you can find a really cute one, get it from a rescue so you can constantly brag to your friends about how awesome of a human you are. If you are REALLY cool you have no pet because you’re too busy having fun and living life to take care of it.
- B: WOW, it's upper 70s in LA right now
- M: wtf, that's pretty warm
- B: yeahh, it's practically almost summer there
- M: woohoo, cardigan weather
- B: that's why no good music comes from there
- M: ahah why?
- B: it's TOO DAMN HAPPY. the WEATHER IS TOO NICE. that's why it's all Miley Cyrus status there
- M: so at cold places?
- B: it's too damn cold and depressing, so they lock themselves in a basement and make the good music. that's why Seattle has such good shit.
Bfred from Uggh…Nice Watch put together a mixtape representing the alternative “backpack” rap era of the mid-late 90s. The liner notes: “Most of these classic records were only issued on 12″ single in the years before file-sharing exploded, and as a result, many of these artists and songs have been forgotten. To me, the backpack era officially ended in 1999, when Eminem blew up and Funk Flex started playing Pharoahe Monch’s “Simon Says” on Hot97. I’ve compiled 40 of my favorite joints from the era for your listening pleasure.”
THE BACKPACK RAP COLLECTION: SIDE A
[CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD]
1. Company Flow f/ BMS “Vital Nerve”
2. The High & Mighty f/ Eastern Conference All-Stars “Open Mic Night”
3. Black Attack “My Crown”
4. Cage “Agent Orange”
5. J-Live “Braggin’ Writes”
6. 7L & Esoteric “Be Alert”
7. Mr. Live f/ Tony Bones “Placebo”
8. The Cenobites f/ Bobbito “Kick A Dope Verse”
9. Street Smartz “Problemz”
10. Mos Def “The Universal Magnetic”
11. East Flatbush Project “Tried By 12″
12. The Juggaknots “I’m Gonna Kill You”
13. Scienz of Life “Scienz of Life (Metaphysic)”
14. Rawcotiks “Live Your Life”
15. I.G. Off & Hazardous “Hip-Hop Till I Die”
16. Natural Elements “Paper Chase”
17. Masterminds “I’m Talented…”
18. Shabaam Sahdeeq f/ Eminem, A.L., Kwest & Skam “5 Star Generals”
19. Mood “Karma”
20. Siah & Yeshua DapoED “A Day Like Any Other”
THE BACKPACK RAP COLLECTION: SIDE B
[CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD]
1. Reflection Eternal f/ Mos Def & Mr. Mann “Fortified Live”
2. Indelible MC’s “The Fire In Which You Burn”
3. F.A.T.A.L. Foundation “All About Wars”
4. MF Doom “Dead Bent”
5. Eastern Conference All-Stars “Know A Little Nigg”
6. Siah “Repetition”
7. Afu-Ra “Whirlwind Thru Cities”
8. Dr. Octagon “Blue Flowers”
9. L-Fudge f/ Mike Zoot, Talib Kweli, Skam & Shabaam Sahdeeq “What If?”
10. Dilated Peoples “Global Dynamics”
11. Mr. Complex “Visualize”
12. Network Reps f/ Punch & Words “Yeah”
13. Necro “Get On Your Knees”
14. Mood Swingaz “The Blessin’”
15. Natural Resources “Negro League Baseball”
16. Mountain Brothers “Galaxies: The Next Level”
17. The High & Mighty f/ Mos Def & Mad Skillz “B-Boy Document 99″
18. Bad Meets Evil “Scary Movies”
19. Company Flow “Linda Trip”
20. Pharoahe Monch “Simon Says”